Qualitative Research Assistants at FHI 360, April 2018
NAFASI ZA KAZI/AJIRA FHI 360
QUALITATIVE RESEARCH ASSISTANTS OPPORTUNITYFHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff include experts in Health, Education, Nutrition. Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender. Youth, Research and Technology, creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries globally. We work in close partnership with the Government of Tanzania to support the achievement of the Government's strategic objectives in health.
Currently, FHI 360 Is seeking qualified and experience. research assistants to conduct a consultancy assignment for its USAID-fund. Tulonge Atya project. The USAID Tulonge Afya project will work with its partner, the Government of Tanzania (GoT), to catalyze opportunities for Tanzanians to improve their health status by transforming socio-cultural norms and supporting the adoption of healthier behaviors. By addressing key social and cultural norms and SBCC system needs, USAID Tulonge Afya and the GoT will together identify the drivers of behaviors directly tied to health and leverage SBCC approaches to achieve the following results.
• Result 1: Improved ability of individuals to practice healthy behaviors
• Result 2: Strengthened community support for health behaviors
• Result 3: Improved systems for coordination and implementation of SBCC interventions
Our integrated approach blends best practices from behavioral health sciences to address the complex individual-to-societal interplay that encourages change. We will use a participatory, evidence-based, and theory-informed approach. Through this. we will: 1) address norms and inequities that drive poor health; 2) advance health while promoting rights; 3) use data better to support regional needs, 4) harmonize messages and media; 5) strengthen institutional capacity to manage and deliver high quality SBCC, and 6) facilitate coordination to maximize SBCC impact and efficiencies.
Consultancy Overview - Qualitative researchers
As part of Year One project activities. USAID Tulonge Afya will implement audience consultations using projective techniques to inform several campaigns that will take place under the project. These audience consultations will define SBCC priorities and needs. identify key barriers and facilitators to achieve desired behavioral objectives. and identify potential interventions and SBC solutions for an umbrella brand for several audience platforms.
In the same, USAID Tulonge Alya in collaboration with GAT, will conduct different pre As: of campaign materials including concepts. brands names and messages to see if they deliver the intended message to the target audience.
FHI 360 is seeking qualified research assistants to conduct audience consultations and pretest of the campaign print materials and radio spots. Conducting audience consultations and pre test of campaign materials will involve engaging with a range of audiences using the audience consultation pre tests guides provided to be provided during the orientation before field work. Research assistants will be trained in use of the guides and the use of projective techniques which they will used in the field work mainly while conducting focused Group Discussion (FGD). During audience consultation Projective techniques will be used to collect data through FGD while during pretest of material mixed of ordinary FGD techniques will be used
Detailed Description of Tasks to be Performed
Task 1: Attending orientation for each field work
• Participate in an orientation for audience consultation or pretest guide and how to conducte FGD
Task 2: Conduct audience insights using projective techniques or Pre test using ordinary FGD techniques
Task 3: Share findings from audience consultations or Pr test Prepare daily written summaries of findings from audience consultations or pre test of the campaign rnaterials using template to be provided by FHI 360
• Participate in regularly scheduled debriefing calls and/or meetings with Technical Lead to share detailed results of audience consultations and or Pre test of the campaign materials
• Diploma or ideally tertiary degree or its international equivalent in communication, public health. social sciences or related field.
• Experience in qualitative research methods and analysis (interviews. focus group discussions. qualitative data analysis etc.)
• Native speaker or equivalent fluency in Kiswahili
• Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to write clear concise reports in English
• Deep understanding of the Tanzania culture and social environment
• Excellent people skills and ability to work in complex and sensitive contexts
• Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
• Experience in doing social beahaviour change work is an added advantage.
FHI 360 requests that all applications submissions be organized in the manner and format described below.
• Updated CV and references.
• Written statement (2-3 paragraphs) of why the applicant is suitable for the assignment and their availability
• Completed Biodata Form (blank form to be obtained from FHI 360 website)
Please send submissions by April 30th, 2018 to: [email protected]
Disclaimers and FHI 360 Protection Clauses
a) FHI 360 may cancel solicitation and not award.
b) FHI 360 may reject any or all responses received.
c) Issuance of solicitation does not constitute award commitrnent by FHI 360.
d) FHI 360 reserves the right to disqualify any offer based on offeror failure to follow solicitation instructions.
e) FHI 360 will not compensate offerors for response to solicitation.
f) FHI 360 reserves the right to issue award based on initial evaluation of offers without further discussion.
g) FHI 360 may choose to award only part of the activities in the solicitation, or issue multiple awards based on the solicitation activities.
h) FHI 360 reserves the right to waive minor proposal deficiencies that can be corrected prior to award determination to promote competition.
i) FHI 360 will be contacting offerors to confirm contact person, address and that bid was submitted for this solicitation.
Source: The Guardian April 24, 2018