INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITYOrganizational Context The International School of Tanganyika (IST) enjoys a reputation as a leading educational institution in Africa. Our mission is to challenge, support and inspire our students to tuft their potential and improve the world. Founded in 1963, we have been working with expatriate and Tanzanian families for over 50 years. Our longevity and strong international reputation has been developed through effective partnerships with our local community, strong academic results, and a well-balanced curriculum which allows students to explore their passions and interests.
IST employs 120 Teaching stall and 184 Support Staff, representing 19 nationalities. With over 800 students. IST has a strong reputation of academic achievement. a rich extracurricular program and a high degree of commitment to community engagement and service. We are proud of our balanced program that prepares students to be active and healthy citizens with diverse interests.
NEW TANZANIAN JOBS OPPORUNITIES (1000+ POSTS)
We are currently seeking qualified Teacher Intern - 2 Positions
Summary of the role The work experience program provides Tanzanian young adults who aspire to work in education with the opportunity to gain skills, experience, and training towards a future career. Work experience participants observe and assist in Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) and Maths classrooms while gaining exposure to an international school setting. They are provided with training and mentorship to work with students in a classroom setting under the guidance of a lead teacher or teachers.
In addition to classroom experience, the participants gain valuable experience working in a cross-cultural setting with students. parents, and teachers from around the world. During the internship period, the Teacher Intern mil be required to work as a substitute/cover teacher in the absence of a regular teacher to aid students in understanding a subject matter, as well as to provide skills required for programmed lessons and purposeful training for the classroom he/she is assigned.
Upon completion (1 year) of the work experience program, the participant is eligible to apply for a traineeship in which trainees continue interning at the school while pursuing teaching qualifications at an international recognized institution ti a bursary model supported by the school Traineeships are limited and flighty competitive
• Assists in creating a learning environment where students can experience growth and develop their full potential,
• Works with students to support Mew needs on an individual and/or small group basis,
• Maintains and respects confidentiality of student and school personnel information;
• Maintains discipline and classroom control that fosters a sale and positive learning environment for all students and staff in accordance with school polices:
• Ensures the adequate supervision to assure health: welfare, and safety of all students;
• Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities: • Assists with the general preparation and organization of supplies and teaching materials;
• Supports the supervision of students in and out of classroom activities during the school clay.
• Works as a proactive team member while developing and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues. students, and parents:
• Establishes effective communication with colleagues students. and parents
• Participates in curriculum and staff development opportunities as required;
• Maintains a high ever of professional competence through in-service education and professional growth activities;
Perform other duties as assigned, including special protects as requested by the Principal.
• A University degree in Education with specialization in Science (Physics, Biology and Chemistry) or Maths with a GPA of not less than 4.5.
Skills, Competencies and Experience
• Tanzanian Citizen
• Age: 20 28 years old
• No Comma' Record
• Exhibits patience and empathy when dealing with students
• Communicates and plans in a positive. collaborative manner
• Wilting and enthusiastic to learn teaching and learning approaches and methods
• Supervise students outside of the classroom in an active manner.
• Work with the administration to help foster a positive school culture • Contribute to school initiatives. such as working committees. extra-curricular activities. assemblies. school events.
• Computer literacy is required, including experience with business software including Microsoft Office and online communications tools for meetings and webinars
• Demonstrated ability to read. wore and speak fluent English and Kiswahili. Knowledge of any additional language is added advantage
• Interest in other cultures and appreciation of diversity
Particulars of the Search
Prospective interns need to be formally apply for this program. Applicants should submit a letter (in English) describing her/his fit and interest in the position eking with an up-to-date curriculum vitae. The names, addresses and contact details of three (3) referees. Applications and inquiries should be directed to [email protected] to reach by Friday, 27 July 2018
Source: The Guardian July 06, 2018