Beware of Job Scammers!
Please Never Pay Money To Get A Job!
Beware of Job Scammers!
Please Never Pay Money To Get A Job!
Jobs in Tanzania: Communications Consultant Job Vacancy Dar es salaam at UN Women | Deadline: 22nd October 2018
NAFASI ZA KAZI / AJIRA TANZANIACommunications Consultant
Location : Dar es Salaam, TANZANIA
Application Deadline : 22-Oct-18 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Gender Equality
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 25-Oct-2018
Duration of Initial Contract : 6 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment : 6 Months
Duties and Responsibilities
Plan and design communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans
• Develop and implement work plan on the communications and media
• Develop a communication strategy for the Country Office, in respective to the regional and global strategies;
• Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives, as requested;
• Monitor and analyze print and social media and draft reports;
• Focal point for event management of campaigns such as HeForShe, UNiTE to End Violence against Women and 16 days of Activism, International Women’s Day, through innovative programs, grassroots advocacy, coordinating with government, CSOs, UN and media partners.
Coordinate and implement the development and dissemination of advocacy materials
• Develop and produce communication instruments and materials, including briefing materials, press releases, and draft articles for publication, and manage dissemination;
• Identify and propose information opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners;
• Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
• Manage the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
• Follow communication and advocacy guidelines from HQ and RO.
Coordinate media relations
• Manage relationships with press in country; maintain and update database of relevant press;
• Respond to a variety of inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence;
• Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions for press, as required;
• Prepare press kits, track media stories, draft press releases, create and update media lists and outreach for Step it Up Media Compact.
• Collect and share weekly news bulletin containing news on UN Women Tanzania, and all gender and women’s issues related news reported in local media.
• Draft talking points for the Representative.
Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors
• Identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility;
• Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
• Provide inputs to packages for programme initiatives for donor review.
• Establish and maintain the UN Women Tanzania Country Office web/ online presence
• Establish and manage content of the Country Office’s website and maintenance based on corporate requirements;
• Manage the Country Office’s social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
• Upload information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, and resources.
Read Also: NEW TANZANIAN JOBS OPPORUNITIES (500+ POSTS)
Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
• Provide information for news stories, analyze data and research studies to produce programme factsheets and policy briefs on gender in Tanzania, document meetings, events and workshops;
• Produce and design visuals for communications products, archive and caption photos for sharing; assist in the knowledge management of the UN Women products and publications. Maintenance of photo library and information/communications data base
• Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities, in close partnership with Thematic Program Leads, M&E Specialist and Innovations Analyst;
• Provide 1 training and workshop on communication and advocacy for staff and implementing partners, in close collaboration with the Regional Office.
Key Performance Indicators:
• Developed and implemented work plan on the communications and media
• Quality inputs and analysis into the communications strategy for the office
• Timely monitoring of current events and trends from women’s rights and gender equality perspective
• Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content
• Timely updating of website and social media
• Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in country
• Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage of UN Women by the media
• Understands advanced concepts of communication
• Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing his/her work
• Keeps abreast of new developments in communication and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
• Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
• Respect for Diversity
• Cultural sensitivity
• Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
• Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
• Creative Problem Solving
• Effective Communication
• Inclusive Collaboration
• Stakeholder Engagement
• Leading by Example
• Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
• Good knowledge of web-based knowledge management systems
• Good understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards
• Good knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
• Good knowledge of local country media landscape
• Good communication, presentation, networking and advocacy skills
• Ability to be strategic and analytical
• Knowledge of gender equality and women’s human rights
Required Skills and Experience
• Master’s degree in media and/or communications studies, journalism, public relations, or relevant field is required
• Professional Experience:
• At least 3 years of professional experience at national or international level in media relations, communications or advocacy for gender equality and women’s rights and empowerment;
• Excellent writing, facilitation and presentation skills in English, including preparing briefs, reports, articles for wide audiences;
• Relevant experience in delivering communications services to promote international and/or UN programmes would be considered an asset;
• At least 1 year of professional experience in developing advocacy materials (print, radio, and/or online) with focus on gender equality and women’s empowerment;
• Experience in organizing and managing large media and publicity events and campaigns;
• Experience in developing content for media/communication/advocacy campaigns or implementing campaigns;
• Good understanding of web development technologies;
• Experience in on-line outreach and multimedia;
• Experience in use of web editing tools and social media platforms;
• Experience in photograph and video editing;
• Previous experience in Africa within the UN System and/or International Organization is considered an asset.
• Fluency in English both in speaking and writing
• Knowledge of Kiswahili language is an asset.
• Submission of application:
• Interested consultants need to submit the following documentation in support of their application:
• One cover letter: Explaining why the candidate is the most suitable for the work;
• UN Women Personal History Form (P11), which can be downloaded at http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
• Please group all your documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document;
Please make sure to submit all the requested documents/information; otherwise, your application will be considered incomplete.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.