Job Title: Financial Controller
Requisition ID: 1800024917
Company: Standard Chartered Bank
Company: Standard Chartered Bank
Location: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Career Level: Associate
Industries: Banking, Insurance, Financial Services
Deadline: 27th July, 2018
About Standard Chartered We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
- The primary focus of the role is to provide leadership and direction on the control and financial accounting functions of the Bank ensuring reports generated are in accordance with Local / international accounting standards and Group guidelines.
- The individual will be responsible for the implementation of a control framework and infrastructure that ensures reporting, both Group and statutory, is of the highest standard and is delivered within a robust control environment.
- To ensure compliance with all local statutory and regulatory filings, financial and management reporting. To liaise with external auditors on statutory audits.
NEW JOB OPPORTUNITIES IN TANZANIA (800+ POSTS)
- Ensure that an effective system of internal financial controls is established and maintained at all times in compliance with Group Financial Control policies.
- Ensure all financial / fiduciary reporting obligations, including subsidiary reporting, are met on time and to a high quality.
- Support the management of the balance sheet and liquidity and interest rate risk through the ALCO process ensuring compliance with all Group and regulatory ratios and reporting requirements.
- Manage Financial Control risk across the Bank and within the Finance function through application of Group Financial Control Policy and the Risk Management Framework.
- Risk Management:
- Identify, assess and monitor significant operational risks
- Submit gross risk and residual risk ratings for approval by risk owner
- Promptly execute any remediation actions to remain within risk tolerance
- Maintain a record of all risk assessments and risk acceptance decisions in the OR system.
- Provide strong leadership to the Country Finance team, managing and developing the skills and careers of Finance professionals and building staff engagement through appropriate learning and development plans.
- Involvement in the development and implementation of re-engineering initiatives impacting Country Finance functions in-country.
- Manage internal and external statutory audit requirements including rationale for accounting positions and analytical and risk reviews. Build a close and effective working relationship with the external auditors.
- Maintain an appropriate governance structure for the Tanzania legal entities in coordination with Group Tax, Company Secretariat and Country Risk.
- Contribute to the management of the business as a member of the top management team.
- Provide the financial input for the formulation of the Bank's Strategic Plan.
- Initiate and co-ordinate the formulation of the annual operating plans and budgets and monitor progress towards their achievement, drawing attention to important trends, and to opportunities to maximise income, reduce cost and minimize risk.
- Ensure that the reports prepared by the FSSC are in accordance with country finance requirements and Group standards, procedures and timetables.
- Work closely with Tax division to ensure that the taxation affairs of the Bank are planned managed so as to optimise the Group's position.
- Maintain the highest professional financial management standards in the Bank.
- Monitor the operational and capital expenditure programmes to ensure adherence to budgeted limits.
- Support the Country Compliance Manager in interpreting, communicating and meeting local regulatory requirements.
- Keep up to date with local and international accounting developments through membership of professional bodies and contact with other members of the profession.
- Manage relationship with External Auditors including the negotiation of the scope of the audit, general liaison, the clearance of audit work and responding to and following up management letters.
- Monitor and decide on SLAs with GFS.
- Ensure that Finance staff comply with applicable Group Control Standards and Local Regulatory Standards.
Experience & Knowledge
- Professional accounting qualification e.g. CPA and ACCA,
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a Finance position of a Bank or financial services industry at senior management level.
- Sound knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, IFRS, Group Accounting practice, taxation and statutory requirements.
- Broad understanding of banking practice.
- High level of experience in working with computerised Accounting/Banking systems.
- Good communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.