Beware of Job Scammers!
Please Never Pay Money To Get A Job!
Beware of Job Scammers!
Please Never Pay Money To Get A Job!
External Outreach to Communication for Development(C4D) in Emergencies Specialists (P3/P4/P5) for UNICEF Eastern and Southern Africa RegionJob Number: 516329
Locations: Africa: Angola, Africa: Botswana, Africa: Burundi, Africa: Comoros, Africa: Eritrea, Africa: Ethiopia, Africa: Kenya, Africa: Lesotho, Africa: Madagascar, Africa: Malawi, Africa: Mozambique, Africa: Namibia, Africa: Rwanda, Africa: Somalia, Africa: South Africa, Africa: South Sudan, Africa: Swaziland, Africa: Tanzania,Uni.Re, Africa: Uganda, Africa: Zambia, Africa: Zimbabwe
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
Purpose of Position: The purpose of this external announcement is to attract suitable Communication for Development Specialists (C4D) from outside the organization for inclusion in UNICEF's Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM) roster for the Eastern and Southern Africa region. The purpose of the RRM roster is to ensure that the region’s emergency staffing response is in line with the organization's strategic goals, to support emergency preparedness and response through a predictable and coordinated approach to emergencies. This is not a regular vacancy announcement but rather a call for surge personnel with C4D/ Social and Behaviour Change Communication/ experience in emergencies interested in short term assignments with UNICEF. Inclusion in the Roster does not guarantee any future contractual relations with UNICEF.
NEW TANZANIAN JOBS OPPORUNITIES (900+ POSTS)
This announcement is targeting candidates outside of UNICEF with interest in working in any of the countries within UNICEF's Eastern and Southern Africa region for the next 24 months.
The roster serves as an intermediate between consultants interested in working on UNICEF consultancy/TA assignments, and Regional Office/Country Offices seeking support. It is a list of vetted individuals that are viewable by the Regional Office and Country Offices that are looking for consultants/TAs who can help them in specific assignments, missions or projects. Once a suitable individual is found in the roster, a selection and hiring process commences immediately.
We are currently looking for Communication for Development Specialists (C4D) in the following areas;
- Emergency C4D/SBCC, including disease outbreak communication
- Risk Communication and Community Engagement
- Management & Implementation
- Community Outreach
- Planning & Strategy Development
- Capacity building
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Peacebuilding/Humanitarian contexts
- Accountability to Affected Population
Candidates with suitable profiles will be placed in the roster to be considered for short term assignments in the region. Candidates will be responsible for periodically updating their profiles.
Successful applicants will be:
- based in countries in UNICEF Eastern and Southern Africa region;
- expected to deploy within 1 to 2 weeks from confirming of interest and availability to UNICEF;
- deployed on a Temporary Appointment (TA) or consultancy (SSA) contracts.
- Provide technical support to UNICEF Country Offices, development partners and national governments in the design and implementation of emergency C4D/SBCC including Risk Communication and Community Engagement, evidence-based communication plans of action aiming at: (a) behaviour and social change at individual / household and community levels for the adoption of key lifesaving behaviours within humanitarian contexts.; (b) advocacy and social mobilization of decision makers, civil society organizations and social networks (c) increased community participation; (d) increased awareness on key lifesaving interventions through communication.
- Support technical assessments and emergency preparedness including strengthening UNICEF’s coordination role in emergency response.
- Provide technical advice on Monitoring and Evaluation of emergency C4D/SBCC activities on the basis of applied research, tools and visits to sites, as well as introducing community based monitoring. Disseminates communication research findings, ensures exchanges of experience and new methods with government officials, C4D staff and other UNICEF partners.
- Provide guidance to COs to manage emergency C4D response interventions, organize/manage behavioral research, baseline development, development and testing of culturally relevant communication material and for documentation of C4D interventions.
- Provide facilitation to build capacity in participatory & social and behaviour change communication in humanitarian settings.
Qualifications of Successful Candidates
- Advanced university degree in communication for development of the social/behavioral sciences (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, community-based development, Health Education) with emphasis on participatory communication, strategic communication planning, social mobilization, participatory research, training and impact evaluation of communication interventions.
- For P3 Level Assignments - A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in the planning and management of communication for development programmes, including a minimum of two years in Emergency settings, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes tailored to Humanitarian contexts. Experience in the field of Communication for Development/ Social and Behavior Change Communication in a UN/Humanitarian organization, experience in sub Saharan Africa and particularly in emergency/humanitarian context is an asset.
- For P4 Level Assignments - A minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible work experience in the planning and management of communication for development programmes, including a minimum of four years in emergency settings, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes. Experience in the field of Communication for Development/ Social and Behavior Change Communication in a UN/Humanitarian organization, experience in sub Saharan Africa and particularly in emergency/humanitarian context is an asset.
- For P5 Level Assignments - A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible work experience in the strategic design, planning and management of communication for development programmes, including a minimum of five years in emergency settings, with practical experiences in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes. Experience in the field of Communication for Development/ Social and Behavior Change Communication in a UN/Humanitarian organization, experience in sub Saharan Africa and particularly in emergency/humanitarian context is an asset.
- Knowledge of current developments in the fields of risk communication and community engagement and emergency Communication for Development/Social and Behavior Change Communication.
- Training in strategic communication planning, social and behaviour analysis, formative research and evaluation of communication interventions.
- Substantive relevant experience in emergency countries dealing with natural and humanitarian emergencies
- Proven experience in rapid assessments, social data methods and analysis, including participatory and qualitative methods such as Participatory Action Research, Appreciative Inquiry, Focus Group Discussion, etc.
- Proven skills in communication, networking, advocacy and negotiation.
- Ability to organize and implement training, including development of curricula and methodologies.
- Knowledge of the social, political and economic environment of Eastern and Southern Africa
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Computer skills, and various office applications.
- Negotiation and coordination skills
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese is an asset.
- Working knowledge of English is required for all assignments.
Opening Date Fri Sep 14 2018 09:00:00 GMT+0300 (East Africa Time) E. Africa Standard Time
Closing Date Sun Sep 30 2018 23:55:00 GMT+0300 (East Africa Time)